10 Reasons Why Your Daily Diet Is Your Best Health Insurance
Team Digestive Health Institute 29/4/2018 | Sunday
It is important to approach food from the aspect of improving wellness, and not for weight loss. These days, most people see food as the enemy or the problem, which is sad and it is never true. The problem lies in not understanding how to eat. Food is fuel - we need it to survive. Loading up on sugary, processed, fried foods is what is causing the levels of obesity we see in India and all over the world.
Without eating right, you cannot achieve your optimum body weight, no matter how much you exercise. You need the right nutrients to stay healthy, energetic, fit and strong. These are our top 10 tips on how to make your daily diet your best health insurance.
1. Eat according to your age, lifestyle and health concerns. As you grow older, you can no longer get away with what you used to. It is important to keep tweaking your diet to keep up with your reality. For example, if you are in your 30s and have a sedentary lifestyle, eat frequent small meals, add a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit in your daily diet and talk to your doctor and nutritionist about what you need to add in or take out, based on your blood work and other tests.
2. Acidity, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and other such conditions are now very prevalent and a lot of these problems are rooted in an unhealthy diet. One easy step to start incorporating into your family meals is more plant-based fibre. You can get this from fresh fruit and leafy greens.
3. Inflammation is another common problem these days and leads to several chronic conditions. If you do suffer from it, please speak to our nutritionist to understand what specific changes you need to make in your diet but a good place to start is to add in good fats - cold-pressed organic oils, fatty fish such as salmon, oranges, and leafy green vegetables. A good side-effect of this will be a glowing skin!
4. A diet that is rich in whole grains, seasonal vegetables, fresh fruit, organic meats and no processed food keeps the heart healthy.
5. To stay alert, literally have a clear head, and be at your sharpest and most intelligent, you need to eat right. Healthy, balanced meals improve blood flow to the brain.
6. Foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin C and magnesium also help control your stress levels. So, stock up on nuts, spinach, organic or local fresh varieties of fish and flaxseeds.
7. If you make sure your meals are balanced, free of sugary foods and foods that have too many preservatives, you will feel more nourished which means you won't have those 11 am and 4 pm cravings. Even if you do, don't order a samosa or burger. Choose to eat a small salad, fruit bowl or something rich in protein like a chilla or grilled paneer roll.
8. Paying attention to diet and nutrition reduces the risk of diseases such as diabetes. In women, it can help counter hormonal imbalances.
9. Deprivation and fad diets do not work. If you are not allergic to gluten, don't avoid it. Same with dairy. Eat locally, seasonally and as much fresh food as possible. Practice portion control.
10. Make eating right a priority for your family. If you choose to eat baked sweet potato fries over greasy french fries you ordered in, your kids will learn to do that, too.
At our newly-opened flagship in Kamala Mills, Mumbai, Digestive Health Institute offers freshly-made, delicious, customized meal options from Flax like Signature Salads, Fit Bowls, Pre & Post-Op Meals for our patients, Healthy Soups and more!