Dr Muffazal Lakdawala popularly known as Dr Muffi is India’s best-known laparoscopic surgeon; specializing in bariatric & Gastro-intestinal surgeries. He is the Co-founder and Chief Surgeon at Digestive Health Institute and Chairman, Institute of Minimal Access Surgical Sciences and Research Centre & Section Chief, Division of Laparoscopic Oncology at Saifee Hospital, Mumbai.
Over the last 2 decades, he has helped thousands of people get rid of obesity and obesity-related issues like diabetes, etc. He has given a new lease of life to countless patients - where many of them found it difficult to even walk, they now run marathons, travel the world and pursue their passions. Dr. Muffi isthe Honorary Surgeon to the Vice-President of India, Mr Venkaiah Naidu and he also counts as his patients several eminent celebrities spanning all fields. In his 20+ years of practice, he has won numerous awards like the Best Surgeon in the World Award by The American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) in 2019 and The World Master Educator Award by IFSO (International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity) in 2019; and has performed more than 50000+ life-saving surgeries in India and Internationally.
Masters in Surgery (M.S.), B.Y.L.Nair Hospital, University of Mumbai;
MBBS, University of Mumbai.
|Training in Bariatric Surgery With Dr Raul Rosenthal,Cleveland Clinic, USA||2006|
|Training at Unit of Gastro Surgery , With Dr Piet Pattyn, University of Ghent Hospital, Belgium||2005|
|Training in Advanced Laparoscopic Colorectal Cancer Surgery With Prof. Seon Hahn Kim, Seoul, Korea||2004|
Professor at Maharashtra University of Health sciences (MUHS)
Yearly fellowships in Minimal Access Surgery.
- Felicitated with the Best Surgeon in the World Award by The American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) - November 2019
- World Educator Award by International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity (IFSO) World Congress – September 2019
- Professor Emeritus at BYL Nair Hospital – August 2019
- Rotary Excellence Award – February 2018
- Giants International Award for contribution in the field of medicine – September 2017
- Lokmat Maharashtrian of the year – Medicine 2017
- Rotary International Award for Young Achiever 2010
- Humanitarian of the year' Awarded by the All India Human Rights Association' 2007.
- Ranbaxy Award for Best Thesis at MS. Exams ‘Therapeutic Endoscopy in Obstructive Jaundice’.
- Silver Medal at Shirin Mehtaji Oration – 1996
- Gold Medalist in Anatomy at First Year M.B.B.S.
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO)
- Asian Endosurgery Task Force (AETF)
- Asia Pacific Metabolic & Bariatric Surgeons Group (APBSG)
- Obesity Surgeons Society of India (OSSI)
- Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons (IAGES)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Live demonstration in Guangzhou at the IFSO APC Meeting
- Jinan University in March
- Khaula Hospital Muscat Oman February
- Live surgical demonstration in Mumbai at Saifee Hospital in September 2019
- International Medical Hospital Jeddah Saudi Arabia in October
- King Faisal Speciality Hospital Jeddah Saudi Arabia in October
- Royal Hospital Muscat Oman in December
- South City Hospital 1st Pakistan Society of Surgeons Meeting Karachi Pakistan in December
- Colombo South Teaching Hospital Kalubowila Srilanka in December
- Jinan University Hospital Guangzhou China in November
- Cerrahpasa University Hospital Istanbul in January
- Course Co-Director and Live demonstration of Revisional bariatric surgery in the first Indo-Italian Revisional Surgery Workshop in April at Fernando Secondo University Hospital Napoli, Italy
- Live demonstration of first Single Incision Banded Roux En Y Gastric Bypass at University of Malaysia Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia in April
- Live demonstration of Lap RYGB at IEF workshop at Ruby hall Hospital, Pune, April.
- BDF Hospital Bahrain in November
- The Second Affiliated Hospital of South East University Nanjing, China in May
- Dammam Saudi Arabia in June
- King Abdulla Medical City Mecca Saudi Arabia in June
- Prince Saud Hospital Riyadh Saudi Arabia in December
- Saudi – Surgical Road Show
- King Abdullah Medical City, Mecca
- Prince Sultan Military Medical City Riyadh
- King Khalid University, Riyadh
- King Fahad University Hospital, Jeddah
- UKM, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Skims, Srinagar, Kashmir
- MUGIS, Hospital Tuanku Jaafar, Seramban, Malaysia
- NUH, Singapore
- SICOB, University Hospital, Naples, Italy
- Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi
- GEM Hospital, Coimbatore
- Asian Bariatrics Hospital, Ahmedabad
- IFSO, Istanbul
- Indonesian Society of Endo – Laparoscopic Surgeons (ISES), Jakarta, June
- Al Amiri Hospital, Kuwait
- IBN Sina Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Min Sheng Hospital,Touhan,Taiwan
- Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong
- King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Live Surgery Workshop, Karachi, Pakistan – SOLES, Pakistan
- Gastric Sleeve Live Surgery Workshop, Lahore, Pakistan – Society of Surgeons, Pakistan. This was the first time a gastric sleeve surgery was performed in Pakistan.
- Gastric Bypass – Asia Pacific Obesity Conclave, Shanghai
- Minimal Invasive Surgery - Association of Bangladesh Surgeons
- Operative workshop at Asia Pacific Obesity Surgeons Meet, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Operative Workshop in Bariatrics in Beijing, China
- Minimal Invasive Association of Sri Lankan Surgeons Meet, Sri Lanka
- Asia Pacific Bariatric surgeons Summit Taipei, Taiwan
- International Sleeve Gastrectomy Expert Panel - Consensus Statement : Best practice guidelines based on experience of >12,000 cases. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012 Jan-Feb;8(1):8-19. doi:10.1016/j.Soard.2011.10.019. Rosenthal RJ, Ramos AC, Himpens J, Lakdawala M,
- Bariatric Surgical and Procedural Interventions in the treatment of Obese Patients with type 2 Diabetes
A position statement from the International Diabetes Federation task force on epidemiology and prevention:
J B Dixon, P Zimmet, F Rubino , G Alberti , Diabet Med 2011,June 28(6):628-642.
Dr Bruno Geloneze, Prof. J W Greve, Prof. Linong, Ji , Lakdawala M, Prof. W J Lee,
Prof. Pierre Lefebvre, Dr Carel Le Roux, Prof. Jean Claude Mbanya, Prof. Gertrude Mingrone, Prof. Philip Schaeur, Prof. Luc Van Gaal, Dr David Whiting,
Prof. Bruce Wolfe, Prof. Stephanie Amiel , Prof. Louise A Baur, Prof. Nam H Cho.
- First Silver book by Karl Storz on “Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy” published in April 2015 from Asia.
- Eat Right Prescription: Best Seller, No: 1 in Nutrition on Amazon.
- Top 5 in the Crossword Book Awards in Health & Nutrition category.
In the wake of the Covid crises, Dr. Lakdawala volunteered his time, skill and services with the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (BMC) to set-up and administer facilities for Covid positive patients that would help contain the spread of the virus. What began as an advisory service has now snowballed into one of the largest Covid-positive facilities in Mumbai, with Dr. Lakdawala leading a team of 40 health-care professionals to deliver quality care to over a thousand patients.
Bhagwan Mahavir Hospital, Sumerpur, Rajasthan
The camp initiative is to operate on patients for ailments of the Gall bladder, Appendix, Uterus, hernias besides some complex Cancer surgeries . The camp is run completely free of charge and patients who benefit have to pay nothing for either surgery or drugs or investigations. These patients come from a social strata of society where they cannot afford to even pay 50 Rupees for their bus fare to come to the hospital.
Noon Hospital, Bhavanimandi, Rajasthan
2016 onwards we started yet another charity initiative at Noon hospital in Bhavani mandi, Rajasthan in the memory of Lord Noon. This camp was organized in association with the Being Human Foundation. It was for the first time that a laparoscopy surgery camp focused on surgical problems in women was organized at this hospital. 35 patients were successfully operated under my leadership.
Beas Hospital, Punjab
We organized this camp at the behest of Mr Gurvinder Singh, the head of Radha Saomi Satsang and operated on the underprivileged from the area.
BYL Nair Hospital, Mumbai
As part of a new initiative by the Maharashtra government, I have joined hands with a local hospital to offer bariatric surgery at economically low prices for those who are unable to afford bariatric surgery. At the same hospital, I also get a chance to train young surgeons to become the next best bariatric surgeons of India.